Thursday, May 26, 2011

Final Thoughts on May 21

With the hoopla of Harold Camping's May 21 predictions now finally beginning to wane, I want to share some final thoughts--at least until October when Camping predicts the world will end. Just to be clear, according to his written tracts and information on his radio station websites, May 21 was supposed to be the date of the rapture and October 21, the day of destruction. October 21 is not a revised prophecy. It was part of the original all along.

I am not a prophet in the predictive sense, but I did predict what Camping would do on May 22 in light of a failed prophecy. He did what other false prophets have done in the past, spiritualized his vision. Camping, like Charles Russell (Jehovah's Witness) before him, believes now that the judgment has occurred but it did not play out in a physical rapture the way he thought it would.

While Camping continues to err in trying to calculate and set dates that are reserved for the wisdom and sovereignty of God, he does get one thing right. Jesus will return to establish His kingdom. In His first appearance on earth, Jesus came as the Suffering Servant to inaugurate a kingdom that would be offered to those who believe. When all who will believe have believed, Jesus will come again, this time, not as a Suffering Servant but a Conquering King. The Bible says that he will come in all His glory and that everything that is anti-Christ (captured in the term Babylon in Revelation) will be judged. His judgment will be final, physical, and quick.

What I noticed about my own attitude towards Camping is that while I (rather unfortunately) stated several opinions that were not constructive, I realized that I thought differently on May 21. Even in the midst of mocking his theology, he had me thinking about certain actions and attitudes that I would want to avoid should that day or any day for that matter be the last day. In hindsight, I think we too often feel that Christ's return could be immediate, but we file it away in the recesses of our minds so that we are not forced to consider our lives in light of His imminent return.

I hope that between now and October 21 and beyond, should the Lord grant us that much time, that I will learn to live each day thinking intentionally about my actions and attitudes, my pursuit of holiness, and my service to the kingdom through His church. Are there thoughts that I don't want to be thinking when Christ comes? Are there conversations that I don't want to be having when Christ comes? Are there places I don't want to be when Christ comes? The return of Christ should not paralyze us with fear, but should serve to motivate us with the urgency that gospel deserves. In embracing this gospel, we escape the judgment that awaits those who continue to reject the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. This gospel is God's plan of salvation and deliverance to all who believe.

No comments: