Saturday, May 2, 2009

Cooperative Program

I love being a Southern Baptist. The Cooperative Program has proven to be one of the most effective methods of making a difference in the kingdom worldwide. We can do more together than we can by ourselves. I have not always agreed with the policies or structures of the SBC, but rather than complain and threaten to withdraw funds, I took a different approach--involvement. I became moderator of our Association because I believe that if change is going to come to the SBC, I want to be involved in the front lines of that change.

Too often, the question is asked, "Why give to the CP? We don't get anything out of it." I cringe when I hear pastors say that. As pastors, we ask our people to invest in something bigger than themselves, the work of the kingdom through the local church. We expect our people to give regardless of their feelings about "how the money is managed," or "whether or not they are getting anything out of it." We even go so far to say that it is their attitude if they are not getting anything out of being involved in the church.

The same should be true in our churches' commitments to the Cooperative Program. Our churches should be setting the example for our people. We should be giving at the Associational and State levels because it demonstrates our commitment to kingdom work that is bigger than us and it models the type of giving that we ask of our people. If we expect our people to live on 90% of their income, then we should demonstrate that same level of faith in our own investments to the CP.

1 comment:

Calvin Carr said...

Mike,good post. I was up late and saw on twitter that you posted this. I believe that our wonderful Convention is strengthened by leaders like you with a strong commitment to the CP. We must move forward and continue the high level of cooperation that has made such a great impact in the past.